Frequently Asked Questions About the Mathematics Advisory Exam Results


Congratulations on your recent admission to the University of California, Riverside!

  1. What does my MAE placement mean?
    Students who receive a placement of "Community College Intermediate Algebra" must complete a course in intermediate algebra at a community college with a "C-" or above and retake the MAE in order to be placed into a UCR mathematics course. Once students place into precalculus they should complete precalculus as soon as possible and then proceed to Calculus and complete enough Calculus courses until they have completed all the mathematics requirements for their major. All majors in the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences require at least two quarters of Calculus to meet graduation requirements for their majors. 

    When you arrive at Bear Facts Orientation you will be able to meet with your academic advisor who will answer any questions you may have about your placement results and you will be given options on how you can complete your Community College Intermediate Algebra requirement course as soon as possible.

  2. I took Calculus in high school, how can I be placed into Intermediate Algebra course? 
    Many students who do well in high school mathematics courses do not remember all the mathematical skills that are crucial to success in college level mathematics courses. Your MAE results show that you would benefit from reviewing these Intermediate Algebra concepts before proceeding to precalculus in order to ensure academic success in your college mathematics courses.

  3. Can I start taking Intermediate Algebra this summer, before I attend UC Riverside in the Fall?
    Yes, we recommend that students take this course as early as possible.  Many local community colleges offer equivalent Intermediate Algebra courses during the summer; the web site below has a list of courses in your local area that will meet this requirement: [Insert CC Math course link here]

    Please note that most of these courses will begin in early to mid-June.

    Alternatively, Intermediate Algebra will be offered by the Riverside Community College on the UC Riverside campus during the months of August and September. For students who live close to UC Riverside completing Intermediate Algebra through this program is a great option since once you complete Intermediate Algebra you will be able to re-take the MAE which can place you into an appropriate math course for Fall 2007. Please feel free to discuss this option with your academic advisor during the Bear Facts Orientation. For more information on the RCC Intermediate Algebra course for Summer 2007, please see the following web site: [Insert RCC Math course link here]

  4. What if I have Advanced Placement (AP) credit for Math? 
    Since AP results are usually sent out to students in early July, all students needed to take the MAE while still waiting for their AP scores to arrive.  Remember, in order to receive AP credit for Mathematics, students must receive a 3 or higher on the AB or BC Calculus AP exam. Merely taking the AP Calculus course in high school or taking the exam does not grant AP credit, only receiving a score of 3 or higher on the exam grants AP credit.  

    If your AP score is 3 or higher, your AP score will supersede your MAE results. Your academic advisor will discuss your placement into the appropriate class for Fall 2007 with you at Bear Facts Orientation.

  5. What can I do if I still have questions?
    Please e-mail questions to the CNAS Academic Advising team at cnassaao@ucr.edu.